Thursday, March 03, 2005

OnStar! or Else!

Did anyone catch the new OnStar commercials this past weekend while networks were trying to show "Sports" programming and on the Oscars! The ads that suggest that if you don't get OnStar you're a terrible, unfeeling, money stuffing, human being.
Before I go on I must add that this is not like me. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am getting old! I hate complaining, in fact I think there is way too much of it these days, and it's not getting anybody anywhere any faster than if they would just try and be nice! And I'm begging people, please stop bashing President Bush, it's only enhancing his "legacy" and was one of the reasons that he actually got elected this last time.
Anyway,
So I don't like to complain, and in the past when I would see a commercial like this I would say, "Oh, that was nice. Now could someone please pass the bean dip!"
But Sunday I had a different reaction when I saw the ad, it was more like, "WHAT THE @#$%$#, THE MOTHER-@#$%^&%$##'S, how dare you! With that heart tugging music in the background, and the cute kids saying, "You wouldn't let your kids ride without a seat belt would you?" "So why wouldn't you use OnStar!"
Because I don't want to! Seems like a good response to me and I shouldn't be made to feel like a heartless bastard if I don't get the service.
First off it's only available on GM vehicles and I don't drive them and I don't plan to. So they are also implying that if you don't own a GM product you're a heartless bastard, and get this, if you read the fine print in the commercial that the service is available on most but not ALL GM vehicles. So they're also saying that if you don't get the right vehicle you're not only a heartless but cheap bastard as well!
I realize I'm probably making more out of this than is really necessary, I really believe that GM is doing this has a last ditch effort because they can't give the service away, and I would probably be less offended by the campaign if the program wasn't exclusive to GM. The fact for me is that I drive Toyota and Ford, and I when I drive I have a cell phone with me, and one time when my car started on fire, not only having the phone saved my life, but ended up saving the car as well. So I believe that is a reasonable alternative, so I feel I don't need a guilt trip to consider a new product.
Now that is over, I must point out that the Sun is shining and it's a wonderful day!

Beyond Belief!

One of my daily reads is Ran Selig's website (he doesn't like the term blog) No Relgion Now. A nice site that's a little on the cranky bleedin liberal side, but he brings up good topics and makes you think about things that really need to be more thought ought.
What's Good: He allows comments even if you don't agree with his position(just try to have a thoughtful comment, but that's what we all ask isn't it!), and he always responds.
Constructive Criticism: Most of the people who participate already share his views, and sometimes his use of language is a little tough. If you're main focus is to get people to think beyond their belief systems, he might in one of his statements say that Pat Robertson is a $%#@er. Now that might be true, but if I'm a follower of Pat Robertson (just for the sake of arguement!) and I may be willing to move beyond that. Calling him a $%#$er is probably not going to convince me.
But anyway, besides the plug, on his site today I came across a link to the BBC radio program (or programme to them) Beyond Belief. And since this site was intended to have audio programs. Here is a List of available programs. It is BBC so it's a little monotone, but discusses a number of issues that show that there is more to believing than just believing! Plus listening to one of the programs (programmes!) I got my quote of the day, week, year or whatever!
"You can take things literally, or you can take them seriously!"

That's all I have today,
Until next time,
PAC

No comments:

Radioaffliction Classics with The Bummin Cousins: Delightfully Weird Streaming!

The Bummin Cousins Peter A. Clay and Jim Reid are back with a wonderful podcast about the things found in Thrift Stores and Flea Markets. Cl...