Friday, December 22, 2006

Find a Penny? Pick it Up!


Click here for a Radioaffliction Quickie audio post on this subject!

I enjoy the site Gullible Info, and it is there I found this interesting tidbit.

"People in a west coast city are three times more likely to stop and pick up a coin on the street than people in an east coast city."

Now that may only mean that a west coast city is three times more likely to lose a coin on the street than an east coast city, but it does beg to offer this question.

If you saw a coin on the street(or sidewalk), why wouldn't you pick it up?

Even the lonely penny(it's real name is the one cent piece, pennies come from England and heaven I'm told), which it's existence is mind boggling to me, especially since it costs more to make it than it can be tendered for, not to mention how long retailers have been duping people into believing that it's a better deal that something is $4.99 rather than an even $5.00, with all that said, the penny is still worth something.
There is even an incentive for the stray coin,
"Find a penny pick it up, the rest of the day you'll have good luck!".
Others have amended that by saying the coin must be heads up but hey, you've got an opportunity here. I've struggled with that theory when I come across one in a urinal, and I'm forced to think just how badly do I need good luck for the rest of the day.
Anyway the point is, coins come in handy, and they add up, so if you see one that has lost a home, give it one until you can find a nice cash register for it.
One other thing that still boggles my mind, is that how many people still don't know that the two dollar bill is still in active circulation, and yet it is still being rebuffed by the general public.
I wrote about that last year in a post, and I still can't figure it out. 2 is a nice even number, and can be very helpful is cash situations. I would rather have 2 two dollar bills than 4 one's, and heck I'd rather have 3 two dollar bills than a 5 and a 1.
It is after all just my opinion, but the lesson learned today, love and take care of your coins and your two dollar bill!
Have a great day,
PAC

Updated 12/31/06:
This also from Gullible.info:
In its "lifetime" an average dollar bill is touched by over 10,000 different people.

6 comments:

Dave said...

#1 reason many of us won't pick up pennies: germs. The amount of germs on non-discarded money is frightening. A coin in the street? Multiply that by 10.

dave
from Maximum Awesome

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..I leave coins for others. I remember 18 yrs ago, while living on the street--deep into alcoholism, finding a coin, was definitely a sign of good luck for me.

And so, I leave them, and hope that whoever finds them really appreciates them....

my mom on the other hand...picks up every coin she sees...and probably has a nice little bundle stashed away somewhere!

Peter A. Clay said...

Dave, I certainly respect your opinion, but germs are everywhere, and in far worse places than a street or money for that matter. Wash your hands and trust your immune system.
So save up your coins and cash them in for $2 dollar bills!
That's just my opinion.

Andrena, I respect your comment as well, but leaving it for the next person may not help the right person. You could pick up the coins and save up the ones you already have and give them to the Salvation Army Bellringers, or Ronald McDonald house coin tray at McDonalds, or your church.
Just a thought, I like your blog by the way, good luck with that.
Thank you both for your comments and Happy Holidays(Merry Christmas!)!

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm...good thought! never thought of it that way...I just may do that!

btw...you were at my spot and didn't leave a comment??? shame on you!

Rashenbo said...

I remember that you only pick up a penny if it's heads up... that's for luck. Heads down is bad luck... I have no idea why though.

Blog Mad dropped me off here and I thought I'd say hi.

Cheers.

Cassie said...

I would pick it up if I was sure I wouldn't get hit by a car or something.

Radioaffliction Classics with The Bummin Cousins: Delightfully Weird Streaming!

The Bummin Cousins Peter A. Clay and Jim Reid are back with a wonderful podcast about the things found in Thrift Stores and Flea Markets. Cl...